parent: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (pâr'unt, par'-), [key]
- a father or a mother.
- an ancestor, precursor, or progenitor.
- a source, origin, or cause.
- a protector or guardian.
- any organism that produces or generates another.
- the first nuclide in a radioactive series.
- being the original source: a parent organization.
- pertaining to an organism, cell, or complex molecular structure that generates or produces another: parent cell; parent DNA.
- to be or act as parent of: to parent children with both love and discipline.
- parent (Thesaurus)