Meaning of palette
Pronunciation: (pal'it), [key]
- a thin and usually oval or oblong board or tablet with a thumb hole at one end, used by painters for holding and mixing colors.
- any other flat surface used by a painter for this purpose.
- the set of colors on such a board or surface.
- the range of colors used by a particular artist.
- the variety of techniques or range of any art: a lush but uneven musical palette.
- the complete range of colors made available by a computer graphics card, from which a user or program may choose those to be displayed.
- (in ancient Egyptian art) a somewhat flattish slate object of various shapes, carved with commemorative scenes or motifs or, esp. in the smaller pieces, containing a recessed area probably for holding eye makeup and often used as a votive offering.
- a small plate defending the front of the armpit when the arm is lifted; gusset.
- palette (Thesaurus)