Meaning of owe
Pronunciation: (ō), [key]
— v., owed, ow•ing.
- to be under obligation to pay or repay: to owe money to the bank; to owe the bank interest on a mortgage.
- to be in debt to: He says he doesn't owe anybody.
- to be indebted (to) as the cause or source of: to owe one's fame to good fortune.
- to have or bear (a feeling or attitude) toward someone or something: to owe gratitude to one's rescuers.
- to possess; own.
- to be in debt: Neither lend nor owe. Who owes for the antipasto?
- owe (Thesaurus)