Meaning of over the counter
o'ver the count'er
- not transacted through an organized securities exchange; directly to the buyer or from the seller: He sold his stocks over the counter.
- without a doctor's prescription but within the law.
Pronunciation: (ō'vur-u-koun'tur), [key]
- unlisted on or not part of an organized securities exchange:OTC over-the-counter stocks; the over-the-counter market. Abbr.:
- sold legally without a doctor's prescription:Abbr.: OTC over-the-counter drugs.
- over the counter (Thesaurus)