Meaning of oriental
Pronunciation: (ôr"ē-en'tl, ōr"-), [key]
- (usu. cap.) of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the Orient, or East; Eastern.
- of the orient or east; eastern.
- (cap.)belonging to a geographical division comprising southern Asia and the Malay Archipelago as far as and including the Philippines, Borneo, and Java.
- (usu. cap.) designating various gems that are varieties of corundum: Oriental aquamarine; Oriental ruby.
- fine or precious; orient: oriental agate; oriental garnet.
- designating certain natural saltwater pearls found esp. in the Orient.
- (usually cap.) a native or inhabitant of the Orient.
- oriental (Thesaurus)