Meaning of opera
Pronunciation: (op'ur-u, op'ru), [key]
- an extended dramatic composition, in which all parts are sung to instrumental accompaniment, that usually includes arias, choruses, and recitatives, and that sometimes includes ballet. Cf.
- the form or branch of musical and dramatic art represented by such compositions.
- the score or the words of such a composition.
- a performance of one: to go to the opera.
- (sometimes cap.) an opera house or resident company: the Paris Opera.
Pronunciation: (ō'pur-u, op'ur-u), [key]
— n. Chiefly Music.
- a pl. of
- opera (Thesaurus)