Meaning of only
Pronunciation: (ōn'lē), [key]
- without others or anything further; alone; solely; exclusively: This information is for your eyes only.
- no more than; merely; just: If it were only true! I cook only on weekends.
- as recently as: I read that article only yesterday.
- in the final outcome or decision: You will only regret your harsh words to me.
- I am only too glad to go.
- as a matter of fact; extremely:I am only too glad to go.
- unfortunately; very:It is only too likely to happen.
- being the single one or the relatively few of the kind: This is the only pencil I can find.
- having no sibling or no sibling of the same sex: an only child; an only son.
- single in superiority or distinction; unique; the best: the one and only Muhammad Ali.
- but (introducing a single restriction, restraining circumstance, or the like): I would have gone, only you objected.
- except; but: Only for him you would not be here.
- only (Thesaurus)