once: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (wuns), [key]
- at one time in the past; formerly: I was a farmer once; a once powerful nation.
- a single time: We ate there just once. We go to a movie once a week.
- even a single time; at any time; ever: If the facts once become known, it will be just too bad.
- by a single step, degree, or grade: a cousin once removed.
- repeatedly: He has been told once and again not to slam the door.
- decisively; finally: Let's settle this problem once and for all.
- at intervals; occasionally: She stops in to see us once in a while.
- a very few times; infrequently: I've seen her in the elevator once or twice.
- at some unspecified past time, esp. a long time ago: Once upon a time, in a faraway land, there lived a prince and princess.
- former; having at one time been: the once and future king.
- if or when at any time; if ever.
- whenever; as soon as: Once you're finished, you can leave.
- a single occasion; one time only: Once is enough.
- The children were running, screaming, and throwing things all at once.
- simultaneously:The children were running, screaming, and throwing things all at once.
- suddenly:All at once the rain came down.
- Don't all speak at once.
- at the same time; simultaneously:Don't all speak at once.
- immediately; promptly:Tell him to come at once!
- once (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.