offend: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (u-fend'), [key]
- to irritate, annoy, or anger; cause resentful displeasure in: Even the hint of prejudice offends me.
- to affect (the sense, taste, etc.) disagreeably.
- to violate or transgress (a criminal, religious, or moral law).
- to hurt or cause pain to.
- (in Biblical use) to cause to fall into sinful ways.
- to cause resentful displeasure; irritate, annoy, or anger: a remark so thoughtless it can only offend.
- to err in conduct; commit a sin, crime, or fault.
- offend (Thesaurus)