Meaning of Negro
Pronunciation: (nē'grō), [key]
— n., pl. adj. -groes,
- a member of the peoples traditionally classified as the Negro race, esp. those who originate in sub-Saharan Africa: no longer in technical use.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of one of the traditional racial divisions of humankind, generally marked by brown to black skin pigmentation, dark eyes, and woolly or crisp hair and including esp. the indigenous peoples of Africa south of the Sahara.
- being a member of the black peoples of humankind, esp. those who originate in sub-Saharan Africa.
Pronunciation: (nā'grō Sp. ne'grô [key]
— n. Port.
- a river in NW South America, flowing SE from E Colombia through N Brazil into the Amazon. 1400 mi. (2255 km) long.
- a river in S Argentina, flowing E from the Andes to the Atlantic. 700 mi. (1125 km) long.
- a river in SE South America, flowing S from Brazil and W through Uruguay, to the Uruguay River. ab. 500 mi. (800 km) long.
- Negro (Thesaurus)