necessity: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (nu-ses'i-tē), [key]
— pl. -ties.
- something necessary or indispensable: food, shelter, and other necessities of life.
- the fact of being necessary or indispensable; indispensability: the necessity of adequate housing.
- an imperative requirement or need for something: the necessity for a quick decision.
- the state or fact of being necessary or inevitable: to face the necessity of testifying in court.
- an unavoidable need or compulsion to do something: not by choice but by necessity.
- a state of being in financial need; poverty: a family in dire necessity.
- the quality of following inevitably from logical, physical, or moral laws.
- as an inevitable result; unavoidably; necessarily: Our trip to China must of necessity be postponed for a while.
- necessity (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.