mute: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (myt), [key]
— adj., n., v., mut•er, mut•est, mut•ed, mut•ing.
- silent; refraining from speech or utterance.
- not emitting or having sound of any kind.
- incapable of speech; dumb.
- (of letters) silent; not pronounced.
- (of a person who has been arraigned) making no plea or giving an irrelevant response when arraigned, or refusing to stand trial (used chiefly in the phrase to stand mute).
- (of a hound) hunting a line without giving tongue or cry.
- a person incapable of speech.
- an actor whose part is confined to dumb show.
- a person who stands mute when arraigned.
- Also calleda mechanical device of various shapes and materials for muffling the tone of a musical instrument.
- a stop.
- a hired mourner at a funeral; a professional mourner.
- to deaden or muffle the sound of.
- to reduce the intensity of (a color) by the addition of another color.
- mute (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.