Meaning of murmur
Pronunciation: (mûr'mur), [key]
- a low, continuous sound, as of a brook, the wind, or trees, or of low, indistinct voices.
- a mumbled or private expression of discontent.
- Also called
- an abnormal sound heard on listening to the heart, usually through a stethoscope, produced by the blood passing through deformed cardiac valves.
- in some persons a similar sound heard when blood passes through normal valves.
- a voice quality in which vibration of the vocal cords is accompanied by the escape of a great deal of air, as in the (h) of ahead; breathy voice.
- to make a low or indistinct sound, esp. continuously.
- to speak in a low tone or indistinctly.
- to complain in a low tone or in private.
- to sound by murmurs.
- to utter in a low tone: He murmured a threat as he left the room.
- murmur (Thesaurus)