mud: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (mud), [key]
— n., v., mud•ded, mud•ding.
- wet, soft earth or earthy matter, as on the ground after rain, at the bottom of a pond, or along the banks of a river; mire.
- scandalous or malicious assertions or information: The opposition threw a lot of mud at our candidate.
- brewed coffee, esp. when strong or bitter.
- a mixture of chemicals and other substances pumped into a drilling rig chiefly as a lubricant for the bit and shaft.
- to cover, smear, or spatter with mud: to mud the walls of a hut.
- to stir up the mud or sediment in: waders mudding the clear water.
- to hide in or burrow into mud.
- mud (Thesaurus)