Meaning of mouth
Pronunciation: (n.mouthv.mou&thslash), [key]
— n., pl. v. mouths
- the opening through which an animal or human takes in food.
- the cavity containing the structures used in mastication.
- the structures enclosing or being within this cavity, considered as a whole.
- the masticating and tasting apparatus.
- a person or animal dependent on someone for sustenance: another mouth to feed.
- the oral opening or cavity considered as the source of vocal utterance.
- utterance or expression: to give mouth to one's thoughts.
- talk, esp. loud, empty, or boastful talk: That man is all mouth.
- disrespectful talk or language; back talk; impudence.
- a grimace made with the lips.
- an opening leading out of or into any cavity or hollow place or thing: the mouth of a cave; a bottle's mouth.
- the outfall at the lower end of a river or stream, where flowing water is discharged, as into a lake, sea, or ocean: the mouth of the Nile.
- the opening between the jaws of a vise or the like.
- the lateral hole of an organ pipe.
- the lateral blowhole of a flute.
- ordejected; depressed; disheartened: Ever since he lost his job, he has been looking very down in the mouth.
- to talk incessantly or indiscreetly.
- to make contradictory or untruthful statements.
- to utter in a sonorous or pompous manner, or with excessive mouth movements: to mouth a speech.
- to form (a word, sound, etc.) with the lips without actually making an utterance: She silently mouthed her answer so as not to wake her napping child.
- to utter or pronounce softly and indistinctly; mumble: Stop mouthing your words and speak up.
- to put or take into the mouth, as food.
- to press, rub, or chew at with the mouth or lips: The dog mouthed the toys.
- to accustom (a horse) to the use of the bit and bridle.
- to speak sonorously and oratorically, or with excessive mouth movement.
- to grimace with the lips.
- He mouthed off to his mother.
- to talk back; sass:He mouthed off to his mother.
- to express one's opinions, objections, or the like in a forceful or uninhibited manner, esp. in public.
- mouth (Thesaurus)