mousetrap: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (mous'trap"), [key]
— n., v., -trapped, -trap•ping.
- a trap for mice, esp. one consisting of a rectangular wooden base on which a metal spring is mounted.
- a device, machine, or the like whose structure or function suggests a trap for mice.
- a device, system, or stratagem for detecting and catching someone in an unauthorized or illegal act.
- trap (def. 11).
- to make or offer a superior product.
- traffic cops mousetrapping drunken drivers.
- to trap or snare:traffic cops mousetrapping drunken drivers.
- to manipulate by devious or clever means; trick or outwit:to mousetrap the witness into a contradiction.
- trap (def. 20).
- mousetrap (Thesaurus)