mountain: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (moun'tn), [key]
- a natural elevation of the earth's surface rising more or less abruptly to a summit, and attaining an altitude greater than that of a hill, usually greater than 2000 ft. (610 m).
- a large mass of something resembling this, as in shape or size.
- a huge amount: a mountain of incoming mail.
- (cap.) a steam locomotive having a four-wheeled front truck, eight driving wheels, and a two-wheeled rear truck. See table under
- a sweet Malaga wine.
- See(def. 2).
- of or pertaining to mountains: mountain air.
- living, growing, or located in the mountains: mountain people.
- resembling or suggesting a mountain, as in size.
- mountain (Thesaurus)