monad: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (mon'ad, mō'nad), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- any simple, single-celled organism.
- any of various small, flagellate, colorless ameboids with one to three flagella, esp. of the genus Monas.
- an element, atom, or group having a valence of one. Cf.(def. 3),(def. 2a).
- (in the metaphysics of Leibniz) an unextended, indivisible, and indestructible entity that is the basic or ultimate constituent of the universe and a microcosm of it.
- (in the philosophy of Giordano Bruno) a basic and irreducible metaphysical unit that is spatially and psychically individuated.
- any basic metaphysical entity, esp. having an autonomous life.
- a single unit or entity.