Meaning of moan
Pronunciation: (mōn), [key]
- a prolonged, low, inarticulate sound uttered from or as if from physical or mental suffering.
- any similar sound: the moan of the wind.
- complaint or lamentation.
- to utter moans, as of pain or grief.
- (of the wind, sea, trees, etc.) to make any sound suggestive of such moans: The wind moaned through the trees.
- to utter (something) inarticulately or pitifully, as if in lamentation: He moaned his response.
- to lament or bemoan: to moan one's fate.
- moan (Thesaurus)