Meaning of mistress
Pronunciation: (mis'tris), [key]
- a woman who has authority, control, or power, esp. the female head of a household, institution, or other establishment.
- a woman employing, or in authority over, servants or attendants.
- a female owner of an animal, or formerly, a slave.
- a woman who has the power of controlling or disposing of something at her own pleasure: mistress of a great fortune.
- (sometimes cap.) something regarded as feminine that has control or supremacy: Great Britain, the mistress of the seas.
- a women who is skilled in something, as an occupation or art.
- a woman who has a continuing, extramarital sexual relationship with one man, esp. a man who, in return for an exclusive and continuing liaison, provides her with financial support.
- a female schoolteacher; schoolmistress.
- (cap.) a term of address in former use and corresponding to Mrs., Miss, or Ms.
- mistress (Thesaurus)