Meaning of mistake
Pronunciation: (mi-stāk'), [key]
— n., v., -took, -tak•en, -tak•ing.
- an error in action, calculation, opinion, or judgment caused by poor reasoning, carelessness, insufficient knowledge, etc.
- a misunderstanding or misconception.
- for certain; surely: He's an honorable person, and no mistake.
- to regard or identify wrongly as something or someone else: I mistook him for the mayor.
- to understand, interpret, or evaluate wrongly; misunderstand; misinterpret.
- to be in error.
- mistake (Thesaurus)