Meaning of minority
Pronunciation: (mi-nôr'i-tē, -nor', -mī-), [key]
— n., pl. adj. -ties,
- the smaller part or number; a number, part, or amount forming less than half of the whole.
- a smaller party or group opposed to a majority, as in voting or other action.
- a group differing, esp. in race, religion, or ethnic background, from the majority of a population: legislation aimed at providing equal rights for minorities.
- a member of such a group.
- the state or period of being under the legal age of full responsibility.
- of or pertaining to a minority.
- minority (Thesaurus)