messenger: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (mes'un-jur), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- a person who carries a message or goes on an errand for another, esp. as a matter of duty or business.
- a person employed to convey official dispatches or to go on other official or special errands: a bank messenger.
- a rope or chain made into an endless belt to pull on an anchor cable or to drive machinery from some power source, as a capstan or winch.
- a light line by which a heavier line, as a hawser, can be pulled across a gap between a ship and a pier, a buoy, another ship, etc.
- a brass weight sent down a line to actuate a Nansen bottle or other oceanographic instrument.
- a herald, forerunner, or harbinger.