Meaning of medicine
Pronunciation: (med'u-sin or, esp. Brit., med'sun), [key]
— n., v., -cined, -cin•ing.
- any substance or substances used in treating disease or illness; medicament; remedy.
- the art or science of restoring or preserving health or due physical condition, as by means of drugs, surgical operations or appliances, or manipulations: often divided into medicine proper, surgery, and obstetrics.
- the art or science of treating disease with drugs or curative substances, as distinguished from surgery and obstetrics.
- the medical profession.
- (among North American Indians) any object or practice regarded as having magical powers.
- ororto repay or punish a person for an injury by use of the offender's own methods.
- to undergo or accept punishment, esp. deserved punishment: He took his medicine like a man.
- to administer medicine to.
- medicine (Thesaurus)