maxim: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (mak'sim), [key]
- an expression of a general truth or principle, esp. an aphoristic or sententious one: the maxims of La Rochefoucauld.
- a principle or rule of conduct.
Pronunciation: (mak'sim for 4 also Fr. mak&sylpsēm', Russ. mu&sylpksyēm'), [key]
- 1869–1936, U.S. inventor.
- his father,1840–1916, English inventor, born in the U.S.: inventor of the Maxim gun.
- 1853–1927, U.S. inventor and explosives expert (brother of Sir Hiram Stevens Maxim).
- a male given name, form of
- maxim (Thesaurus)