Meaning of maintain
Pronunciation: (mān-tān'), [key]
- to keep in existence or continuance; preserve; retain: to maintain good relations with neighboring countries.
- to keep in an appropriate condition, operation, or force; keep unimpaired: to maintain order; to maintain public highways.
- to keep in a specified state, position, etc.: to maintain a correct posture; to maintain good health.
- to affirm; assert; declare: He maintained that the country was going downhill.
- to support in speech or argument, as a statement or proposition.
- to keep or hold against attack: to maintain one's ground.
- to provide for the upkeep or support of; carry the expenses of: to maintain a family.
- to sustain or support: not enough water to maintain life.
- maintain (Thesaurus)