Meaning of loosen
Pronunciation: (l'sun), [key]
- to unfasten or undo, as a bond or fetter.
- to make less tight; slacken or relax: to loosen one's grasp.
- to make less firmly fixed in place: to loosen a tooth.
- to let loose or set free from bonds, restraint, or constraint.
- to make less close or compact in structure or arrangement.
- to make less dense or coherent: to loosen the soil in a garden.
- to relax in strictness or severity, as restraint or discipline: to loosen restrictions on trade.
- to relieve (the bowels) of their constipated condition.
- to become loose or looser (sometimes fol. by up): His hold loosened. Your shoes will loosen up with wear.
- loosen (Thesaurus)