living: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (liv'ing), [key]
- having life; being alive; not dead: living persons.
- in actual existence or use; extant: living languages.
- active or thriving; vigorous; strong: a living faith.
- burning or glowing, as a coal.
- flowing freely, as water.
- pertaining to, suitable for, or sufficient for existence or subsistence: living conditions; a living wage.
- of or pertaining to living persons: within living memory.
- lifelike; true to life, as a picture or narrative.
- in its natural state and place; not uprooted, changed, etc.: living rock.
- very; absolute (used as an intensifier): to scare the living daylights out of someone.
- the act or condition of a person or thing that lives: Living is very expensive these days.
- the means of maintaining life; livelihood: to earn one's living.
- a particular manner, state, or status of life: luxurious living.
- living persons collectively (usually prec. by the): glad to be among the living.
- the benefice of a clergyman.
- living (Thesaurus)