livery: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (liv'u-rē, liv'rē), [key]
— pl. -er•ies.
- a distinctive uniform, badge, or device formerly provided by someone of rank or title for his retainers, as in time of war.
- a uniform worn by servants.
- distinctive attire worn by an official, a member of a company or guild, etc.
- Also calleda guild or company of the City of London entitled to wear such livery.
- characteristic dress, garb, or outward appearance: the green livery of summer.
- the care, feeding, stabling, etc., of horses for pay.
- a company that rents out automobiles, boats, etc.
- an ancient method of conveying a freehold by formal delivery of possession.
Pronunciation: (liv'u-rē), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.