listen: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (lis'un), [key]
- to give attention with the ear; attend closely for the purpose of hearing; give ear.
- to pay attention; heed; obey (often fol. by to): Children don't always listen to their parents.
- to wait attentively for a sound (usually fol. by for): to listen for sounds of their return.
- to convey a particular impression to the hearer; sound: The new recording doesn't listen as well as the old one.
- to give ear to; hear.
- Listen in tomorrow for the names of the lottery winners.
- to listen to a radio or television broadcast:Listen in tomorrow for the names of the lottery winners.
- to overhear a conversation or communication, esp. by telephone; eavesdrop:Someone was listening in to his private calls.
- listen (Thesaurus)