lily: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (lil'ē), [key]
— n., pl. adj. lil•ies,
- any scaly-bulbed plant of the genus Lilium, having showy, funnel-shaped or bell-shaped flowers. Cf. lily family.
- the flower or the bulb of such a plant.
- any of various related or similar plants or their flowers, as the mariposa lily or the calla lily.
- fleur-de-lis, esp. as the symbol of France.
- a split in which the five, seven, and ten pins remain standing.
- See (def. 4).
- white as a lily: her lily hands.
- delicately fair: a lily maiden.
- pure; unsullied: the lily truth.
- pale; fragile; weak.
Pronunciation: (lil'e), [key]
- a female given name.
- lily (Thesaurus)