leverage: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (lev'ur-ij, lē'vur-), [key]
— n., v., -aged, -ag•ing.
- the action of a lever.
- the mechanical advantage or power gained by using a lever.
- power or ability to act or to influence people, events, decisions, etc.; sway: Being the only industry in town gave the company considerable leverage in its union negotiations.
- the use of a small initial investment, credit, or borrowed funds to gain a very high return in relation to one's investment, to control a much larger investment, or to reduce one's own liability for any loss.
- to exert power or influence on.
- to provide with leverage.
- to invest or arrange (invested funds) using leverage.
- leverage (Thesaurus)