ledge: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (lej), [key]
— n., v., ledged, ledg•ing.
- a relatively narrow, projecting part, as a horizontal, shelflike projection on a wall or a raised edge on a tray.
- a more or less flat shelf of rock protruding from a cliff or slope.
- a reef, ridge, or line of rocks in the sea or other body of water.
- a layer or mass of rock underground.
- a lode or vein.
- a member similar to but larger than a cleat.
- a minor transverse deck beam running between regular deck beams to form part of a coaming.
- to assemble (a door or the like) with ledges.
- ledge (Thesaurus)