lather: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (la'ur), [key]
- foam or froth made by a detergent, esp. soap, when stirred or rubbed in water, as by a brush used in shaving or by hands in washing.
- foam or froth formed in profuse sweating, as on a horse.
- a state of excitement, agitation, nervous tension, or the like: He was in a lather over my delay.
- to form a lather: a soap that lathers well.
- to become covered with lather, as a horse.
- to apply lather to; cover with lather: He lathered his face before shaving.
- to beat or whip.
Pronunciation: (lath'ur, lä'thur), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- a worker who puts up laths.