Meaning of landslide
Pronunciation: (land'slīd"), [key]
— n., v., -slid, -slid -slid•den, -slid•ing.
- the downward falling or sliding of a mass of soil, detritus, or rock on or from a steep slope.
- the mass itself.
- an election in which a particular victorious candidate or party receives an overwhelming mass or majority of votes: the 1936 landslide for Roosevelt.
- any overwhelming victory: She won the contest by a landslide.
- to come down in or as in a landslide.
- to win an election by an overwhelming majority. Also called,
- landslide (Thesaurus)