keynote: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kē'nōt"), [key]
— n., v., -not•ed, -not•ing.
- the note or tone on which a key or system of tones is founded; the tonic.
- the main idea or central principle of a speech, program, thought, action, etc.
- the policy line to be followed, as by a party in a political campaign, that is set forth authoritatively in advance by an address or other formal announcement.
- to announce the policy of (a political party, campaign, assembly, etc.); deliver a keynote address at: The governor will keynote the convention.
- to serve as the keynote for.
- to give the keynote of.
- to provide a keynote, esp. a keynote address: He refused an invitation to keynote.
- keynote (Thesaurus)