Joseph: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: ( jō'zuf, -suf), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- Jacob's eleventh son, the first of Jacob and his second wife, Rachel: sold into slavery by his brothers. Gen. 30:22–24; 37.
- the husband of Mary who was the mother of Jesus. Matt. 1:16–25.
- (Hinmaton-yalaktit), c1840–1904, leader of the Nez Percé: led 1000-mi. (1600-km) retreat from U.S. forces in an attempt to reach Canada 1877.
- (l.c.) a long coat buttoning in the front, worn esp. by women as part of their riding habit in colonial America.
- a male given name: from a Hebrew word meaning “increaser.”