jordan: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: ( jôr'dn), [key]
— n. Brit. Dial.
Pronunciation: ( jôr'dn for 2 also Fr. zhôr&sylpdän'), [key]
- 1851–1931, U.S. biologist and educator.
- born 1936, U.S. poet, novelist, and essayist.
- 1838–1922, French mathematician.
- Official name,a kingdom in SW Asia, consisting of the former Transjordan and a part of Palestine that, since 1967, has been occupied by Israel. 2,751,968; 37,264 sq. mi. (96,514 sq. km). Cap.: Amman.
- a river in SW Asia, flowing from S Lebanon through the Sea of Galilee, then S between Israel and Jordan through W Jordan into the Dead Sea. 200 mi. (320 km) long.
- a male given name.
- jordan (Thesaurus)