jealous: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: ( jel'us), [key]
- feeling resentment against someone because of that person's rivalry, success, or advantages (often fol. by of&hasp;): He was jealous of his rich brother.
- feeling resentment because of another's success, advantage, etc. (often fol. by of&hasp;): He was jealous of his brother's wealth.
- characterized by or proceeding from suspicious fears or envious resentment: a jealous rage; jealous intrigues.
- inclined to or troubled by suspicions or fears of rivalry, unfaithfulness, etc., as in love or aims: a jealous husband.
- solicitous or vigilant in maintaining or guarding something: The American people are jealous of their freedom.
- intolerant of unfaithfulness or rivalry: The Lord is a jealous God.
- jealous (Thesaurus)