Meaning of ivory
Pronunciation: (ī'vu-rē, ī'vrē), [key]
— n., pl. adj. -ries,
- the hard white substance, a variety of dentin, composing the main part of the tusks of the elephant, walrus, etc.
- this substance when taken from a dead animal and used to make carvings, billiard balls, etc.
- some substance resembling this.
- an article made of this substance, as a carving or a billiard ball.
- a tusk, as of an elephant.
- dentin of any kind.
- a tooth, or the teeth.
- the keys of a piano or of a similar keyboard instrument.
- the hard endosperm of the ivory nut, used for ornamental purposes, for buttons, etc.
- a creamy or yellowish white.
- a smooth paper finish produced by coating with beeswax before calendering.
- consisting or made of ivory.
- of the color ivory.
- ivory (Thesaurus)