intervene: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (in"tur-vēn'), [key]
— -vened, -ven•ing.
- to come between disputing people, groups, etc.; intercede; mediate.
- to occur or be between two things.
- to occur or happen between other events or periods: Nothing important intervened between the meetings.
- (of things) to occur incidentally so as to modify or hinder: We enjoyed the picnic until a thunderstorm intervened.
- to interfere with force or a threat of force: to intervene in the affairs of another country.
- to interpose and become a party to a suit pending between other parties.
- intervene (Thesaurus)