Meaning of inning
Pronunciation: (in'ing), [key]
- a division of a game during which each team has an opportunity to score until three outs have been made against it.
- a similar opportunity to score in certain other games, as horseshoes.
- an opportunity for activity; a turn: Now the opposition will have its inning.
- Cricket.a unit of play in which each team has a turn at bat, the turn of a team ending after ten players are put out or when the team declares.
- land reclaimed, esp. from the sea.
- the act of reclaiming marshy or flooded land.
- enclosure, as of wasteland.
- the gathering in of crops.
- inning (Thesaurus)