inheritance: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (in-her'i-tuns), [key]
- something that is or may be inherited; property passing at the owner's death to the heir or those entitled to succeed; legacy.
- the genetic characters transmitted from parent to offspring, taken collectively.
- something, as a quality, characteristic, or other immaterial possession, received from progenitors or predecessors as if by succession: an inheritance of family pride.
- the act or fact of inheriting by succession, as if by succession, or genetically: to receive property by inheritance.
- portion; birthright; heritage: Absolute rule was considered the inheritance of kings.
- right of possession; ownership.
- inheritance (Thesaurus)