Meaning of industry
Pronunciation: (in'du-strē), [key]
— pl. -tries
- the aggregate of manufacturing or technically productive enterprises in a particular field, often named after its principal product: the automobile industry; the steel industry.
- any general business activity; commercial enterprise: the Italian tourist industry.
- trade or manufacture in general: the rise of industry in Africa.
- the ownership and management of companies, factories, etc.: friction between labor and industry.
- systematic work or labor.
- energetic, devoted activity at any work or task; diligence: Her teacher praised her industry.
- the aggregate of work, scholarship, and ancillary activity in a particular field, often named after its principal subject: the Mozart industry.
- an assemblage of artifacts regarded as unmistakably the work of a single prehistoric group.
- industry (Thesaurus)