induce: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (in-ds', -dys'), [key]
— -duced, -duc•ing.
- to lead or move by persuasion or influence, as to some action or state of mind: to induce a person to buy a raffle ticket.
- to bring about, produce, or cause: That medicine will induce sleep.
- to produce (an electric current) by induction.
- to assert or establish (a proposition about a class of phenomena) on the basis of observations on a number of particular facts.
- to increase expression of (a gene) by inactivating a negative control system or activating a positive control system; derepress.
- to stimulate the synthesis of (a protein, esp. an enzyme) by increasing gene transcription.
- induce (Thesaurus)