hump: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (hump), [key]
- a rounded protuberance, esp. a fleshy protuberance on the back, as that due to abnormal curvature of the spine in humans, or that normally present in certain animals, as the camel or bison.
- a low, rounded rise of ground; hummock.
- a mountain or mountain range.
- (in a switchyard) a raised area down which cars pushed to its crest roll by gravity and momentum for automatic sorting through a series of preset switches.
- an act or instance of coitus.
- a partner in coitus.
- to get the hump.
- Brit. Slang.a fit of depression or bad humor:to get the hump.
- (cap.) (in World War II) the Himalayas.
- past the most difficult, time-consuming, or dangerous part or period: The doctor says she's over the hump now and should improve steadily.
- to raise (the back) in a hump; hunch: The cat humped its back.
- to sort (cars) by means of a hump.
- to exert (oneself&hasp;) in a great effort.
- . to have sexual intercourse with.
- to place or bear on the back or shoulder.
- to carry or haul.
- to load or unload; lift.
- to rise in a hump.
- to exert oneself; hustle or hurry.
- . to engage in sexual intercourse.
- hump (Thesaurus)