howl: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (houl), [key]
- to utter a loud, prolonged, mournful cry, as that of a dog or wolf.
- to utter a similar cry in distress, pain, rage, etc.; wail.
- to make a sound like an animal howling: The wind howls through the trees.
- to go on a spree; enjoy oneself without restraint.
- to utter with howls: to howl the bad news.
- to drive or force by howls (often fol. by down): to howl down the opposition.
- the cry of a dog, wolf, etc.
- a cry or wail, as of pain, rage, or protest.
- a sound like wailing: the howl of the wind.
- a loud, scornful laugh or yell.
- something that causes a laugh or a scornful yell, as a joke or funny or embarrassing situation.
- howl (Thesaurus)