Meaning of horizon
Pronunciation: (hu-rī'zun), [key]
- the line or circle that forms the apparent boundary between earth and sky.
- the small circle of the celestial sphere whose plane is tangent to the earth at the position of a given observer, or the plane of such a circle(sensible horizon).
- the great circle of the celestial sphere whose plane passes through the center of the earth and is parallel to the sensible horizon of a given position, or the plane of such a circle(celestial horizon).
- the limit or range of perception, knowledge, or the like.
- Usually,the scope of a person's interest, education, understanding, etc.: His horizons were narrow.
- a thin, distinctive stratum useful for stratigraphic correlation.
- any of the series of distinctive layers found in a vertical cross section of any well-developed soil.
- horizon (Thesaurus)