Meaning of homologous
Pronunciation: (hu-mol'u-gus, hō-), [key]
- having the same or a similar relation; corresponding, as in relative position or structure.
- corresponding in structure and in origin, but not necessarily in function: The wing of a bird and the foreleg of a horse are homologous.
- having the same alleles or genes in the same order of arrangement: homologous chromosomes.
- of the same chemical type, but differing by a fixed increment of an atom or a constant group of atoms: Methyl and ethyl alcohols are homologous.
- pertaining to an antigen and its specific antibody.
- homologous (Thesaurus)