hit-and-run: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (hit'n-run'), [key]
— adj., v., -ran, -run•ning.
- guilty of fleeing the scene of an accident or injury one has caused, esp. a vehicular accident, thereby attempting to evade being identified and held responsible: a hit-and-run driver.
- involving or resulting from such action or conduct: hit-and-run fatalities.
- pertaining to or noting a play in which, to get a head start, a base runner begins to run to the next base as the pitcher delivers the ball to the batter, who must try to hit it in order to protect the runner.
- marked by taking flight immediately after a quick, concentrated attack: a hit-and-run raid.
- to attempt or execute a hit-and-run play.
- hitandrun (Thesaurus)